122 Logan Street

From 1770 to Today.

122 Logan Street is an excellent example of late 16th century masonry construction that has withstood the test of time and still stands today to serve the community of Charleston, South Carolina. This structure has lived many lives, experienced the lives of its previous tenants, and helped the living pass on when they died. The following information will walk us through the storied history of this property.


The Early Days (1770 - 1899)

1770-1809

The land that 122 Logan Street sits on today was originally owned by Isaac Mazyck, Senior, on a road originally known as Mazyck Street, or Workhouse Lane. Upon his death, the land was split up among his children, and the land was then owned by his daughter, Mariann Mazyck Godin.

This plat shows how the Isaac Mazyck, Sr lands were divided up amongst his children. The land that 122 Logan Street sits on can be located in the top right corner at the initials "MG." Source: Charleston County Records of the Register of Mesne Conveyance.

After passing through a few hands, the land came into the possession of Mathias Woolf. Mathias was a German immigrant, a butcher by trade, who leased to own the property from Mr. William Lennox and his wife, Judith, in 1791. The slot of land that Mr. Woolf received was 50 feet along Mazyck Street, and 213 feet in depth, which stays the consistent lot size until the 1940s. We can deduce from reading historic deeds that it was Mathias Woolf and his family that built the original structure that sits at the front of the property today.

Not long after the turn of the century, Mathias died and willed the house and the lot it sits on to his wife. She died not too much later, and the property was sold on her behalf to John M Happoldt.

1809-1899

Over the course of the next 90 years, the original house had many owners. In order they go:

  • John M. Happoldt (1809)
  • William Fair (1820)
  • Hannah Fair (1822)
  • L.B. Northrop (1852, but possibly earlier)
  • Claudia Bailey (1899)

This property was also listed in city directories under a variety of street numbers over the years, such as 17, 18, 2, and 46 Mazyck while L.B. Northrop was in residence.

You can see the house outlined in red in the 1872 Birds Eye view of the city of Charleston, by C. N. Drie.


The Red-Light District and Vice

Mattie Sherman

After Claudia Bailey, the property was sold to a woman named Martha Stevenson, aka Mrs. M. Turner, aka Mattie Sherman. During her time at the property, the street number changed from 46 to 10, though this wouldn't happen until the 1900s.

Entry in City Directory showing resident Madame Mattie Sherman at 10 Mazyck Street - Source: Charleston Public Library

Madame Mattie Sherman operated what was known as a "female boarding house" at the property located at 10 Mazyck Street after she purchased the property. Prior to the purchase, Mattie Sherman had been a renter and operated her business out of the house starting as early as 1898. Evidence of this is shown in a newspaper clipping from January of that year.

Newspaper clipping from the Charleston News and Courier, January 12, 1989, page 3.

In this Sanborn Fire Insurance map from 1902, we can see that the property consisted of the original building marked as "F.B" for Female Boarding, as well as a brick addition and a few wooden outbuildings as indicated in yellow. The structure to the south of the property was also a dance hall.

When the 1901-1902 South Carolina Inter-State and West-Indian Exposition was running, Mattie Sherman put an advertisement in what was known as the "Blue Book" to let tourists and locals know she was in business. The configuration of the property as seen in the 1902 Sanborn Fire Insurance map is what guests of the Expo would have experienced.

The women in the Blue Book working at 46 Mazyck Street were:

  • Miss Vina DeVon
  • Miss Fannie Harris
  • Miss Stella Lewis
  • Miss Leona Harris
  • Miss Marie Hollander
  • Miss Lillie Carson

At the end of her tenure at the property, the house number was changed to 122, and the street it sat on was changed to Logan Street.

Source: Charleston Public Library


Vincent Chicco

After Madame Mattie Sherman, the next notable property owner was a man named Vincent Chicco, who bought the property in 1919. He did not own the property for very long, but his story is one worth mentioning.

Vincent Chicco Advertisement - Source: South Carolina Department of Archives & History, Twitter,  https://twitter.com/SCArchives/status/1346499774531448835 

Vincent Chicco was born in Italy in 1851 and moved to America at a young age. He became a well known businessman in the Charleston area, opening restaurants and stores in the city. He sold alcohol in his stores and restaurants, however, this was illegal to do in the state of South Carolina at the time, which got Chicco into trouble with the law. Regardless, Chicco was still consistently elected to city council.

An advertisement for one of Vincent Chicco's many businesses - Source: Charleston Public Library, Charleston City Directory, 1915

While he was a successful restauranteur and shop owner, he also invested in many properties. His ownership at what is now 122 Logan Street did not last longer than one month, and he sold the property in 1920 to a German immigrant and widower, Pauline Williams. While Pauline owned the house over the course of the next few years, it would act as a boarding house with many tenants through the years.


A Final Resting Place - Fielding Home for Funerals

After Pauline Williams died in 1926, her daughters Hannah and Mary, as executors of her estate, sold the property to a gentleman named Julius P.L. Fielding. Born in 1886 to an African American family in Charleston, South Carolina, Fielding was persuaded to go to embalming school by his family. He did so, and was the sole black male graduate of the Renouard Training School for Embalmers out of New York City in 1912.

Julius P.L. Fielding (1912) - Source: Bernard R. Fielding, Youtube Interview,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2q-qK6hqNI&t=7s 

After graduation, Fielding moved back to Charleston and founded the Fielding Home for Funerals, located at 80 Queen Street, and later at 61 Logan Street. Fielding would go on to serve the African American community of Charleston and its surrounding communities.

Fielding relocated the family business to the family home at 122 Logan Street in 1928. In order to make the property a mixed use building, the family would live on the top two floors of the original three-story structure, as well as the top floor of the attached building in the back.

Fielding Home for Funerals - Source: Historic Charleston Foundation,  http://charleston.pastperfectonline.com/photo/7707993C-44D1-47B3-BBCC-674693970364 

Fielding would often take the job that white undertakers would not want to take, which would often require him to commute to assist families off of the peninsula in areas like John's and James Island. The commute would require him to travel by row boat to conduct the embalming process on one day, and turn around the next day to conduct the service.

Fielding Home for Funerals is still in operation at 122 Logan Street and run by Fielding's children and grandchildren, a true testament to the operation of African American family funeral homes.


Changes, Adaptations, and Natural Disasters

The next few sections will review how the property has evolved over the course of the last 200+ years.

Changes according the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps

1770-1805

Original three-story structure was built by Mathias Woolf

1805-1888

Original three-story structure still stands as well as two brick two-story additions to the rear of the building.

1888-1902

Two-story brick attachments were combined to make one building. A single-story wood framed outbuilding, which served as a dance hall was added to the south side of the property, and three one-story wood outbuildings were located in the rear of the property.

1902-1944

The property at 4 Magazine Street was acquired to make room for additional one-story wood frame outbuildings. The dance hall was converted to a chapel to serve the needs of Fielding Home for Funerals. Directly off of the two-story brick attachment is a wood-framed attachment that reaches the rear of the property line.

1944-1951

The land at 6 and 8 Magazine Street has been acquired. The original chapel was removed and relocated on the property to allow for a new chapel to be built off of the two-story brick attachment. Behind the new chapel is a wood-framed storage facility attached to a new garage for the funeral home vehicles. This configuration appears in the 1955 Sanborn Fire Insurance map as well.

Sanborn Fire Insurance maps from 1888-1955, in chronological order - Source: Charleston Public Library


Natural Disasters

While Charleston has faced its fair share of natural disasters, the structures at 122 Logan Street have remained fairly unscathed.

Charleston experience many fires in the 1800s, and while 122 Logan Street was never harmed by any of them, there were a few close calls.

The fire of 1838 was one of those close calls. The fire impacted much of the Ansonborough and Harleston Village neighborhoods of Charleston, and stopped one block east at the corner of Archdale Street and Clifford Street. You can see this path showcased on the slide on the left.

The fire of 1863 damaged much of the peninsula; approximately 540 acres and 1,000 buildings were damaged. However, the closest edge of the fire stopped one block south near the corner of Logan Street and Queen Street.

Image Source: Historic Charleston Foundation,  https://www.historiccharleston.org/research/maps/ 

The earthquake of 1886 caused a great amount of damage to the city of Charleston in just one minute; approximately $23 million worth of damages (in 1978 cost estimates). 122 Logan Street was okay after the earthquake with minimal damages, only about $800 worth of damages (in 1886 rates). The walls on the north and south of the structure were in good condition, but the east and west walls were badly cracked and the tops of the chimneys fell down. The owner, L.B. Northrop, was recommended to anchor the east and west walls, repair the chimney tops, and rebuild the chimneys from the front foundation, however, no records were recorded of him taking advantage of work vouchers provided by the city.

Hurricane Hugo landed in Charleston in 1989 and barraged the peninsula and barrier islands with 120-138 mph winds, and flooding throughout. On the peninsula, many buildings received structural damages, and the roofs of many structures were torn off by the strong winds.

Hurricane Hugo Assessment Photo (1989) - Source: Historic Charleston Foundation

Where 122 Logan Street is concerned, there was minimal damage to the buildings on the property. A survey done on the property by Historic Charleston Foundation lists the shutters and the roof covering of the rear addition as the only components of the house with minor damage. Everything else on the house suffered no damage and remained in good condition.


Studying the history of properties throughout Charleston is an important task, providing insight into the lives of the everyday people who lived here and came before us. The history of 122 Logan Street is no different. From its humble beginnings as a family home, to playing a role in the red-light district in the early 20th century, to providing services to the African American community as a funeral home, studying 122 Logan Street has provided us with a glimpse into the always-evolving history of the city of Charleston.

122 Logan Street - Source: Fielding Home for Funerals, Facebook,  https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=423602616562984&set=a.423602586562987 


Sources

“1902 Blue Book.” Charleston Museum (Charleston, SC).

“1938 Charleston Area Tornadoes.” National Weather Service. Accessed from:  https://www.weather.gov/chs/1938CharlestonTornadoes 

“Building Permits.” Evening Post (Charleston, SC). April 26, 1927, Page 15. Accessed from NewsBank, Inc.

Charleston County Public Library. “A Look Back at Hurricane Hugo.” Charleston County Public Library. Accessed from:  https://www.ccpl.org/hurricane-hugo 

Charleston County. “1886 Records of Earthquake Damage.” City of Charleston. Charleston County Library. Page 78.

Charleston County. Records of the Register of Mesne Conveyance. Deeds, Mortgages & Miscellaneous Records. 1719-present.

Charleston County. Wills of Charleston Count, 1671-1868. South Carolina Room, Charleston County Public Library.

City of Charleston. Charleston City Directories. South Carolina Room, Charleston County Public Library. Also accessed from Ancestry.com

City of Charleston. City Tax Assessment Ward Books, Charleston, SC. Ward 4, 1871-1876. South Carolina Room, Charleston County Public Library.

City of Charleston’s Executive Relief Committee for the Earthquake of 1886. “Money vouchers for work done, September 1886 through June 1887.” South Carolina Room, Charleston County Library.

City of Charleston. “Record of BAR Action for 122 Logan Street.” Charleston Planning Department, Charleston, SC.

City of Charleston. Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, 1888-1955. Charleston, SC. South Carolina Room, Charleston Public Library.

Fielding, Bernard R. “Charleston Living Legends: Fielding Home for Funerals,” by Randolph Miller, Live News 5, March 20, 2015. Accessed from:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2q-qK6hqNI&t=7s  

“Fielding’s Builds Memorial Chapel” Charleston News and Courier (Charleston, SC). October 3, 1948, Page 2. Accessed from NewsBank, Inc.

Greene, Harlan. “The Great Fire of 1861 Devastated the City, Driving People Away Before Union Troops Shelled the Streets During the Civil War.” Charleston Magazine. December 2021. Accessed from:  https://charlestonmag.com/features/the_great_fire_of_1861_devastated_the_city_driv ing_people_away_before_union_troops_shelled  

Greene, Harlan. “The Legendary Story of Vincent Chicco, a 19th Century Immigrant Restauranteur Who Faced Down the Governor Over Booze Laws and Won.” Charleston Magazine. August 2022. Accessed from: https://charlestonmag.com/features/the_legendary_story_of_vincent_chicco_a_19th_c entury_immigrant_restaurateur_who_faced_down

Historic Charleston Foundation. “Interactive Historic Charleston Fires Map.” Historic Charleston Foundation. Accessed from:  https://www.historiccharleston.org/research/maps/  

"Hunting the Tigers.” Charleston News and Courier (Charleston, SC). January 12, 1898, Page 3. Accessed from NewsBank, Inc.

Hurricane Hugo Damage Assessment Survey Collection, 1989. Historic Charleston Foundation, Margaretta Childs Archives.

Kropf, Schuyler. Fielding Home for Funerals Has Seen Much Change Over 100 years. Post and Courier (Charleston, SC). Aug. 21, 2011. Accessed from: https://www.postandcourier.com/news/fielding-home-for-funerals-has-seen-much- change-over-100-years/article_4e8b5d60-f1a5-5191-bbe2-cc7158520698.html

“Legal Notice.” Evening Post (Charleston, SC). January 8, 1921, Page 10. Accessed from NewsBank, Inc.

“Liquor Trials.” Evening Post (Charleston, SC). October 28, 1916, Page 15. Accessed from NewsBank, Inc.

Mazyck, Isaac. Plat of 32 Lots North of Broad Street in Charleston. McCrady Plat Collection, Charleston, SC. Plat No. 0090. Charleston RMC.

“The New Chicco’s Delicatessen.” Evening Post (Charleston, SC). March 7, 1919, Page 15. Accessed from NewsBank, Inc.

Nuttli, Bollinger, and Herrmann. The 1886 Charleston, South Carolina, Earthquake – a 1986 Perspective, (Denver: United States Government Printing Office, 1986). Accessed from  https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1986/0985/report.pdf  

Poston, Jonathan. The Buildings of Charleston: A Guide to the City’s Architecture. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1997.

Weinstein, Lynn. “Honoring African Americans: Celebrating Life in Death – African American Funeral Homes.” Library of Congress. Accessed from: Https://blogs.loc.gov/inside_adams/2021/02/african-american-funeral-homes/

This plat shows how the Isaac Mazyck, Sr lands were divided up amongst his children. The land that 122 Logan Street sits on can be located in the top right corner at the initials "MG." Source: Charleston County Records of the Register of Mesne Conveyance.

Entry in City Directory showing resident Madame Mattie Sherman at 10 Mazyck Street - Source: Charleston Public Library

Newspaper clipping from the Charleston News and Courier, January 12, 1989, page 3.

Vincent Chicco Advertisement - Source: South Carolina Department of Archives & History, Twitter,  https://twitter.com/SCArchives/status/1346499774531448835 

An advertisement for one of Vincent Chicco's many businesses - Source: Charleston Public Library, Charleston City Directory, 1915

Julius P.L. Fielding (1912) - Source: Bernard R. Fielding, Youtube Interview,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2q-qK6hqNI&t=7s 

Fielding Home for Funerals - Source: Historic Charleston Foundation,  http://charleston.pastperfectonline.com/photo/7707993C-44D1-47B3-BBCC-674693970364 

Hurricane Hugo Assessment Photo (1989) - Source: Historic Charleston Foundation

122 Logan Street - Source: Fielding Home for Funerals, Facebook,  https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=423602616562984&set=a.423602586562987