24 Clifford Street

House History


Before the House

Sandwiched between Archdale and King Street is Clifford Street. Clifford street lies in what was Ward 4, specifically Dutch Town. 24 Clifford lies on what was lot No. 260. Capt. Henry Symonds owned the lot which was later conveyed to James Allen. Allen conveyed the lot in 1759 to Samuel Cardy, the contractor of St. Michael’s Church. Cardy states that seven feet had been taken from the width of the lot on the south side to make room for a road running from Archdale Street to King Street, this road is the soon to be Clifford Street. Cardy sold the southernmost portion of the property in 1759 to Abraham Spindel measuring 40 feet on Archdale Street and 232 feet on the new Clifford Street. The property then passed to Spindel’s descendants in the Cobia Family.. 


1819 Street Widening

The lot that would soon make up the property of 24 Clifford Street was now owned by Julia Cobia. In 1819 the property was cut, taking away 14 ½ feet  for the widening of Clifford Street to a full 30 feet. The plans for the widening of the street can be seen on plat 234 Surveyed by Charles Parker. This left the lot owned by Mrs. Cobia with the dimensions of 117 ½ feet on Clifford Street and 16 ½ feet on Archdale. 

Significant Owners/Timeline


1819-1826 Casimer Patrick

On October 29th, 1819 Casimer Patrick bought the lot on Clifford Street and several others from The City Council of Charleston for the sum of $3,200 dollars. During this time period Patrick built the two story wood frame house that is present day 24 Clifford Street. Patrick was a tanner and owned several tanning properties. Including one he had built on the Clifford Street Property. Additionally, Patrick made several investments in real estate, he did not live at 24 Clifford Street, he used the building as a rental.  Patrick was a bit too advantageous with his investments. Ultimately he fell upon hard times financially and had to turn over the property and repayment of his debts to the merchant Thomas Milliken in 1827.

1835-1859 Abraham Ottolengui

Abraham Ottolengui was the next owner of 24 Clifford Street. He purchased the property from Milliken July 14th 1835. Ottolengui is a significant owner of the property because he not only owned 24 Clifford Street but he also owned all the other properties on Clifford street.  As can be seen on Plat 0249 from 1843. Ottonlengui also owned 24 Clifford Street for more than 20 years making him one of the longest homeowners. He sold the property to Charles W. Seignious in 1859.

Significant Time Period 1859-1915

Charles W. Seigniouos owned the property from 1859-1866. Seignious’s ownership is important because during this time period is when the 1861 census by Fredrick Ford came out. The 1861 census listed the property owners as well as occupants for this year as well as the demographics of the streets. Seigniouos was listed as the owner with Charles Levy, a free person of color as the resident. This is particularly important because for the demographics of Clifford street it shows that there were only nine free persons of color in the area during this time out of a total population of 66. One of these free persons of color being Charles Levy.  Additionally since the owner and occupant are different this shows that the property was still being used as a rental.

1880

Then in 1880 is where things get interesting.  Pricill Duval, the current owner, sells the property to Heny Viohl for the sum of $1,500 dollars. The property stays in the Viohl family for a significant period of time. Upon Henry’s death, as was declared in his will, the property makes its way to the first born heir, daughter Anna M. Viohl. Under the ownership of Anna, in the city directories in 1896 the current resident is listed as a  Madame M. Lanier. Other than some happenstantial newspaper quips about drunken disorderly conduct on the corner where 24 Clifford Street sits there is not much more evidence of the history of prostitution for this property.

1903-1914

However, from 1903-1914 the property does have its own quirk’s. Anna M. Viohl gave the property to Arthur P. Aimar, Guardian for Margaret Casey.  Margaret Casey is the daughter of Anna M. Viohl. She was to be of unsound mind, a legal lunatic, unable to manage her accounts. Therefore, Arthur P. Aimar was appointed as her guardian to manage her affairs. The property did not stay in the family much longer after that, being sold to a Helouise Barbot in 1914. After 1914 the property changed hands quite a few times with no one owning it for more than a few months till 1915. Ownership from 1915 is the average mortgages and conveyances. The property didn't stay under any one owner for more than ten or so years till the Olasovs. Bernard Olasov was the first owner in 1945 and Benjamin Olasav the second and last owner of the Olasov family till 1972. Onwards, 1972 there were only two more owners to the present day owner Mary Kay Mclane. Those owners being John D Muller, Wallace L. Scott.


Alterations

Blue Print Photos Courtesy of the Board of Architecture, (B.A.R)

Over time the two story wood frame rental house 24 Clifford Street underwent quite a few structural changes since it was built by Casimer Patrick. There were once piazzas on the east side of the house. Those were later removed sometime after 1894 to make room for an addition. This addition lasted for almost a decade until John D Muller in 1973 was approved by the City of Charleston , South Carolina Board of Architectural Review to demolish the addition. Wallace Scott made a valiant effort after John D Muller to restore the building to its original condition while under his care in 1994. He did everything from repainting to installing new drip caps. Wallace even won an award for outstanding restoration, listed in Preservation Progress Vols. 21-26 1976-1982. The building has since gone under some renovations with the current owner Mary Kay Mclane with the two and a half story stuccoed addition.


Numbers

The building wasn’t the only thing that underwent changes. The way that the property was numbered changed dramatically over time. The first number that the property went by was No. 19 as seen in several deeds including that of owner Salvador Pattani in 1914. Then by the late 1880’s as proven by the sanborn map of June 1888 it is listed as No. 22.  Switched numbers once again in 1902 where it was listed for rent in the evening post for $15 dollars a six bedroom dwelling as No. 24 Clifford. Later as referenced in the BAR paperwork as well as the News and Courier as 26 Clifford street or 26-24 Clifford Street. Then back to solely 24 Clifford.

June 1888 Sanborn Map Courtesy of the Charleston County Library

Conclusion

The property at 24 Clifford Street is a contributing piece in the larger history of this area on the peninsula in Charleston South Carolina. Researching such a building helps to tell the untold stories of the German immigrants a part of Dutch town as well as the women in what was later a center for prostitution and vice. This is a broad overall scope of this property's history. There is much more to be discovered and further research to be explored. 

Credits/Bibliography

“Archive Record,” Property File - Clifford Street, a/k/a Dutch Church Alley | Historic Charleston Foundation (Historic Charleston Foundation ), accessed December 6, 2022, http://charleston.pastperfectonline.com/archive/C3B74534-D80F-4B94-91DC-302020545675.

Bar Vertical File from Board of Architectural Review, Charleston, SC 1994

Building permit and BAR Agenda from City of Charleston Department of Clerk of Council, Charleston, SC. BAR(A)1973 .p.3 Permit no. A14500

Census of the City of Charleston, South Carolina, For the Year 1861.  Illustrated by Statistical Tables. Prepared under the Authority of the  City Council by Frederick A. Ford

City of Charleston. Charleston City Directory 1889, p. 91 Archives, Addlestone Library, Charleston, SC.

City of Charleston. Charleston City Directory. South Carolina Room, Charleston County Public Library, Charleston, SC.

City of Charleston. City Tax Assessment Ward Books, Charleston, S.C. [microfilm] South Carolina Room, Charleston County Public Library.

Charles Parker. Plat of Plans Showing Lands Surveyed For The Purpose of Widening Clifford Street. Plat no. 00234 South Carolina Department of Archives and History. Drawn 1819

 Charleston County Public Library, Charleston County Probate Court. Committeeship, Casey, Margaret. Mirco-film, 447 no. 40

Charleston County Public Library, Charleston County Probate Court. Testate Estate, Viohl, Henry. Mirco Film, 225, no. 24

Charleston News and Courier (Charleston, South Carolina), June 19, 1906: 5. NewsBank: Access World News – Historical and Current. https://infoweb-newsbank-com.ccpl.idm.oclc.org/apps/news/document-view?p=WORLDNEWS&docref=image/v2%3A13CCA871AD118D5A%40EANX-143DC99B09D26633%402417381-143DBBA7762C8102%404-143DBBA7762C8102%40.

Charleston County. Records of the Register of Deeds (ROD), Charleston, S.C.

Drie, C. N. Bird's eye view of the city of Charleston, South Carolina. [N.P, 1872] Map.  https://www.loc.gov/item/75696567/ .

Nic Butler, “Dutch Town,” Charleston County Public Library (Charleston Time Machine , July 10, 2020), https://www.ccpl.org/charleston-time-machine/dutch-town.

Evening Post (Charleston, South Carolina), August 23, 1902: 4. NewsBank: Access World News – Historical and Current. 

https://infoweb-newsbank-com.ccpl.idm.oclc.org/apps/news/document-view?p=WORLDNEWS&docref=image/v2%3A13E3762B9393175B%40EANX-13F14B6216F3E72C%402415985-13E669A95A03B255%403-13E669A95A03B255%40.

“Genealogy Search.” FamilySearch.org. Accessed December 6, 2022. https://www.familysearch.org/search/genealogies. 

Robert P Stockton, “26 Clifford Is 'Charming' ,” News and Courier , March 22, 1976, sec. B, p. 1-B-11-B

 

Research preformed by Deryn Candelaria

June 1888 Sanborn Map Courtesy of the Charleston County Library