Botanical Garden of Vilnius University

The cycle of 'Vilnius University Departments on the Map'

A brief history of the VU Botanical Garden - four locations and almost 160 years of activity

VU Botanical Garden

Since its foundation in 1781 Vilnius University Botanical Garden (VU BG) has changed its location four times - the first steps - 22 Pilies Str. (1781-1799) and prosperity in Sereikiškės (1799-1842). Unfortunately, the existence of the BG was completely discontinued since 1842 until 1919.

BG was restored in collaboration with Stephen Bathory University in Vingis since 1919 (since 1974 it became as a department). Since 1974 BG moved to Kairėnai by the needs of BG development. 

Since 2021, the territory of VU Botanical Garden has expanded after the reogranization of Lithuanian universities, when Šiauliai University was merged with Vilnius University and became the Šiauliai Academy of Vilnius University.


First step

The first step of VU Botanical Garden

Vilnius University Botanical Garden (VUBG) was founded in 1781 by Professor Jean-Emmanuel Gilibert (1741-1814) in the courtyard of the Medical College, now 22 Pilies Street. The Garden occupied an area of about 200 sq. m and contained about 500 species of plants grown outdoors and in a small greenhouse.

22 Pilies Str. the courtyard

Memorial plaque on the house 22 Pilies Str. and the courtyard of this house


Second step

VU Botanical Garden

Raised funds by famous naturalist and James Cook companion on his second voyage Johann Georg Adam Forster (1754-1794) contributed a lot to the acquisition of the tract of land in Sereikiškės at the foot of the Castle Hill. In 1799 Botanical Garden was moved to a new site with an area several times larger than previous location. For 25 years the Garden was headed by Professor Stanislaw Bonifacy Jundzill (1761-1847); under his management by 1824 the collections of the Garden contained as many as 6,565 taxa.

Vilnius University was closed down by the Russian Tsar administration in 1832 following the Uprising of the previous year. Botanical Garden was kept open for 10 more years until 1842 when it was shut down completely. Introduced plants perished without proper maintenance and Botanical Garden soon turned into another park.

Sereikiškės Garden Today.

Exhibition in memory of Botanical Garden in Sereikiškės (in the Bernardine Garden) is opened after reconstruction in 2010.

VU Botanical Garden


Third step

VU Botanical Garden

Botanical Garden was successfully re-established in 1919 in new location of Vingis Estate, located in the valley of the Neris River in the western part of Vilnius. Previously known as Department of Plant Systematics and Geograpy, in 2011 Garden in Vingis was renamed Vingis Department. Today it houses as many as 4,600 different plant species and cultivars in greenhouses and outdoors. 

Orangery in Vingis BG

Pre-history of Vingis Botanical Garden

Map of Vingis Garden. 1799

The heritage of the Botanical Garden is the homestead of Vingis Manor before the Botanical Garden rises.

The old period (1441-1522). The Vilnius suburb of Lukiškės, which also included the bend of the Neris (now the territory of Vingis Park and the Botanical Garden), belonged to the oldest land holdings in Vilnius, which were granted as early as 1441. Privilege of the Grand Duke of Lithuania Kazimierz (Kazimierz IV Jagellońsczyk). Vilnius citizens, as well as representatives of noble relatives, ruled separate parts of them.

Radviliada

1522 next to other noble estates, the lands of Radvilas also appear, and the manor is called Radvilas Lukiškės. 1551-1565 The manor was ruled by the Grand Chancellor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the coward of Vilnius, Mikalojus VI Radvila the Black. He and his cousin Mikalojus Radvila the Brown were the strongest support of the Reformation in Lithuania from 1555 to 1565. The first Protestant community began to gather in Radvilas' Lukiškės Palace. 1558 a Reformed school also opened in this palace. M. Radvila wanted to turn this school even into a high school.

The nobleman of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Mikalojus Radvila the Black spent the last 10 years of his life here. His cousine Mikalojus Radvila the Brown took care of the orphaned children.

Mikalojus VIII Kristupas Radvila was the eldest son of Mikalojus Radvila the Black. He was brought to the Catholic faith by the efforts of Valerijonas Protasevičius (the bishop of Vilnius) and Petras Skarga (famous Jesuit preacher and the first Rector of Vilnius University (1579-1582)). The orphan helped to turn to the Catholic faith and three young brothers: Jurgis III - the future bishop and cardinal of Vilnius; Albertas and Stanislovas II Radvila Pamaldusis, the future heiress of Lukiškės manor. In order to strengthen the positions of Brother George, who had become a bishop. Stanislovas Radvila (the son of Mikalojus Radvila Black) wrote to the Jesuits a part of Lukiškės manor in 1584 as to thank the Jesuits. March 20 He also donated the rest of Lukiškės manor with the palace and other buildings and the land bought by his father across the Neris in 1593.

Jesuit residence (1593-1774) was eventually called the Jesuit Lukiškės or Užvingis (Zakret). It became not only a recreation center, but also one of the most important intellectual and cultural centers of the Academy. The Academy sought to coordinate the award ceremonies, called promotions, with visits by kings of other states. These celebrations became a real celebration and took place not only in the Academy, but very often in the Lukiškės residence.

The center of the manor itself with the Radvilas' Palace was adapted for a recreational residence, and in the adjacent areas, in the so-called Radvilas' manor, economic activities began to develop. Cereals are grown in the fields of the manor, hops are used for brewing beer and vodka, in the form of medicinal infusions, tinctures and bitters from 1600 were sold at a Jesuit pharmacy in St. John Street. A large herb garden near the residence palace was mentioned as early as 1646, so it can be said that the beginning of pharmaceutical science is also related to Lukiškės. 1774 November 28 the inventory of the residence states that there were three orchards near the palace. In 1710 the Jesuits were frightened of the plague, which did not spare the majority of the monks hiding in the Lukiškės residence at that time. The territory of the residence was surrounded by a high wall in 1714, and its internal niches were painted with plant ornaments, images of exotic paradise birds and animals. The magnificent palace with attics is believed to have been designed by J.K. Glaubicas (J. Ch. Glaubitz) and built by the Jesuit architect J. Grimas. The ensemble was one of the largest and most interesting in Vilnius, with the entire northern wing closer to the Neris dedicated to the church. Unfortunately, the Jesuits only had to enjoy the beautiful new palace for about a couple of decades. 1773 The Jesuit Order was abolished. 1774 The Lukiškės residence was taken over by the Educational Commission.

The palace was damaged by fire and time.

Even today, garden workers sometimes find finds from those times in the area. They are housed in the small museum of Vingis Garden.

VU Vingio botanikos sodas


Fourth step

VU Botanical Garden

In 1974, just before the 400th anniversary of Vilnius University, expanding Botanical Garden was moved to a new location in the village of Kairėnai, to a site of the previous wealthy Estate, located in the north-east of Vilnius with a plot of 148 hectares.

VU BG received not only the beautiful space of the Kairėnai fields, but also the very abandoned manor of Kairėnai manor with residents. At the VU GMF dean's office, as well as at the Department of Botany and Genetics, meetings, discussions and heated discussions about the vision, design and development of BG have been held for many years. The project was prepared by a group of employees of the then Institute for the Protection of Monuments. Specific trusses and engineering structures were designed by individual teams. The project of the general and utility network (about 40 volumes) was completed in 1982. The territory of the garden is divided into exhibition, experimental and economic zones. The new arboretum is planned to be created according to the geographic and ecological principle. The existing spatial plan has been left in the old park, and plant displays have been designed along the edges of the park. The entire exposition is connected by a ring road.

The first works (reconstruction of ponds, construction of a water supply system, arrangement of irrigation routes, construction of two pumping stations, construction of ring and economic roads, etc.) were financed by The Relevant Ministries (Water Management and Land Reclamation, Road Transport and Highway). Subsequently, after receiving additional investment from the Government (1991-1994) the territory of the garden was fenced, a system of ponds was landscaped, about 3 km of economic roads were built, etc.

A few years later, with the financial support of the then Department of Cultural Heritage Protection a major overhaul of garden buildings - architectural monuments began. In 2004, the implementation of a project funded by The State investment program began (reconstruction of garden electrical networks was carried out, modern production greenhouses, workshops and a garage were built, new stables were built, the reconstruction of the administrative and laboratory building was completed, etc.)). Much work was also done with funds from the Department of Cultural Heritage and Municipality of Vilnius. 2007-2008 With the financial support of the structural funds of the EU and the Republic of Lithuania, another large investment project was implemented to adapt the BG infrastructure to the needs of tourism (three manor buildings were reconstructed, etc.).

2013-2014 a project for updating the technical base, etc. has been implemented. For more than four decades, the area and area of ​​the garden have also changed - from 148 hectares to 191.5 hectares. A large and well-functioning farm has been established in the area and its infrastructure continues to develop consistently.

Gegužio balsai / Voices of May


Šiauliai Academy of Vilnius University Botanical Garden

VU Botanical Garden

Šiauliai Academy of Vilnius University Botanical Garden (former biological and agro biological station) was started in 1958. The Executive Committee of Šiauliai city granted 2.5 ha of fertile ground, located near the railroad (an empty, nameless area at the time), for the establishment of biological station. In 1961 the station began recruiting staff and Stasys Gliaudys was appointed as a manager. In 1962 the whole area was landscaped with fruit-trees as well as 2–3 rows of various trees and shrubs, a small alpine flower garden was built and later the division of plant collection was formed. The plants were donated by  Vilnius Botanical Garden , The Agricultural Research Institute of Dotnuva and Vilnius greenhouses. In 1997 the university department activity programme in accordance with present botanical garden requirements was prepared by prof. PhD Kęstutis Kazimieras Vilkonis. In September 1st, 1997, at the base of Šiauliai Pedagogical Institute agrobiology station, the Šiauliai University Botanical Garden was founded under the guidance of doc. K. K. Vilkonis.

Šiaulių universiteto botanikos sodas 1 2020

Currently, the total area of Botanical Garden is 6.54 ha. The collection contains approx. 3800 plant taxa and species. The most prevalent plant families are aster (Asteraceae) and heather (Ericaceae). Plant collections are grown in the divisions of plant systematics and geography, dendrology, heather family, phenology, alpine plants, floriculture, spice and medicinal plants. The main goal of Botanical Garden is to preserve and increase the plant collection and organise educational activities. The garden constantly expands its seed collection by cooperating with more than 250 botanical gardens worldwide and participating in seed exchange programme. By grooming the garden and creating informational plant exhibitions Šiauliai Botanical Garden expanded its educational, recreational and academic activities. Since 2003 Botanical Garden has become a member of Botanic Gardens Conservation International, Planta Europa Network, Botanical Gardens of the Baltic Sea Region, Baltic States botanical gardens and the Association of Botanical Gardens of Lithuanian Universities. In 2005 garden joined the network of International Phenological Gardens of Europe (IPG). The garden has its friends club (Šiauliai University Botanical Garden Friends club).

The scientific research carried out in the botanical garden is related to the introduction and acclimatisation of ornamental plants, plant biodiversity conservation ex-situ and in-situ as well as phenological observations. The garden also serves as a training and research base for university students. It is also a perfect place for children to play and explore the outdoors. 

Šiaulių universiteto Botanikos sodas

Although Botanical Garden is currently the youngest and smallest by area garden in Lithuania, we are continually building and creating new plant collections, developing scientific and research activities and focusing on making our Botanical Garden a place of beauty and comfort for everyone.


Have a nice jorney to the Botanical Garden of Vilnius University!

VU botanikos sodas

Sources of information and photos

https://www.botanikos-sodas.vu.lt/

https://www.sa.vu.lt/en/bs/

Vladas Drėma. Dingęs Vilnius / Lost Vilnius. 2013, Vilnius.

Ingrida Tamošiūnienė, Birutė Rūta Vitkauskienė, Aušrinė Žilevičiūtė. Vilniaus miesto planai / Vilnius City Plans. 2017, Vilnius.

Audre Dudeniene personal photos

Map of Vingis Garden. 1799

Radviliada