Burlington's Black Bottom District

From 1875-1979, a community of Black-owned businesses operated on S Worth St in downtown Burlington, NC. This is their story.

Core area of the former Black Bottom business district, which peaked from the 1930s through 1960s.

Burlington, NC, incorporated in 1887 around the site of a former repair shop of the North Carolina Railroad. From this very beginning, Black entrepreneurs operated businesses in the downtown district, maintaining a continuous presence until the late 1970s when several buildings were torn down as part of a $7,000,000 federally-funded urban renewal project.

Fifty-five Black businesses - ranging from movie theaters to cafes to pool halls to drug stores - served the community over this century, many of them located on or around the vicinity of S Worth St. Via maps, pictures, and archival research, this project aims to bring the story of this district to life and celebrate Burlington's history.


The name "Black Bottom" is a colloquial description for marginalized districts in many cities. Detroit and Nashville are home to two of the more well-known Black Bottoms. The name most commonly references the physical terrain, typically lower-lying, flood-prone areas where the soil is darker and less suitable for development. Burlington's Black Bottom is located on the site of a former creek and at lower elevation relative to Main St.


Timeline of Black Bottom

1857: Company Shops Founded

The site of downtown Burlington, NC, was established by the North Carolina Railroad Company as Company Shops. Twelve enslaved African-Americans and one Black freedman worked at the Shops.

1875: First Black Business: Duck's Corner

Following Emancipation, all non-white workers at the Shops were fired by 1867. Several former slaves left the area, but others remained. Thomas Duck (or possibly John Duck) opened a grocery in a 12x16 foot building, selling "cornmeal, fat-back meat and molasses" (Hughes 1954), eventually operating out of a storefront on Front Street that burned in 1884 (Stokes 1981).

1889: Thomas & Sons Opens

Freed former slave Spencer Thomas, who had worked at the Company Shops, opened a tinsmith Shop on Worth St. Reverend Thomas also co-founded the Company Shops Baptist Church. ( Vincent 2009 )

1893: First Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Burlington

The Sanborn maps were created to aid insurance companies, but provide detailed visualizations of communities. Note the racist pejoratives used on this map to represent a Black school (lower left) and tenement house (upper right), which was at one point operated by Etta McAdoo (City Directory 1908).

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Burlington, NC, 1893

1928: First use of name "Black Bottom" in media

An article in the Burlington Daily Times discussed a robbery at a Black Bottom business, possibly the Sanitary Barber Shop, which was operated by John Deloatch and Robert Ruffin in the district during this period. The name was used in newspapers 53 times between 1928 and 1946, then never mentioned again until oral history articles starting in the late 1990s.

1930s: Core area established

Prior to the late 1920s, Black businesses were spread around the downtown district, mixed in with White businesses. By the 1930s, most of the Black businesses were concentrated in a one-block area, now known as the 500-block of S Worth St with modern addressing standards.

1930s-1960s: Peak Activity

Oral histories and business directories suggest the Black Bottom district was most active between the 1930s and early 1960s. In the early 1940s, 13 separate businesses operated simultaneously.

Urban Renewal Part 1: Early 1960s

In the early '60s, the municipal government and local business organizations formed an "Urban Renewal Committee" that completed several projects described as "face lifting" for downtown. Several buildings were torn down and Morehead St was extended, cutting off part of the 500-block of Worth St. Several Black businesses moved to Rauhut St during this period.

Urban Renewal Part 2: 1970s

Burlington received a $7,000,000 federal urban renewal grant for redevelopment of the downtown district. Ostensibly, the grant was intended to modernize the downtown to compete with the new suburban malls. This included tearing down dozens of buildings, adding parking, rerouting roads, and creating a walking mall on Main St. One consequence of this project was the destruction of the remaining buildings that housed Black Bottom businesses.

1979: Final Black Bottom business closes on Worth St

The Rex Billiard Parlor operated on Worth St for over 30 years, managed at different times by Samuel Graham, Leslie McCulley, David Dixon Jr, and Wilson Hargrove. The pool hall ceased operations in 1979. The building was torn down by 1980, replaced shortly thereafter by a bank and parking lot.


Location of Black businesses in Burlington, 1890-1980.

This time-series of images puts Black Bottom on an actual map for the first time.

As you examine these images, consider the following questions and what the imply about how different communities evolve in particular places:

  • How does the location of Black businesses change over time in relation to the railroad track?
  • For which decades do you see spread of businesses, and which do you see concentration?
  • How do all the buildings in the downtown change over the decades?

List of Businesses

During this research, 55 Black-owned or Black-frequented businesses in the Black Bottom Area were identified.

This chart displays the name and owners of businesses in Black Bottom.

Do you have stories about or pictures of Burlington's Black Bottom District?

If so, we would love to hear your stories and add to this history! Please contact either Shineece Sellars or James Shields at the  AACAHC  or Dr. Ryan Kirk at  Elon University's Department of History & Geography .

Researching Black Bottom

A continuation of  Jane Sellars' archival research , this mapping of Black Bottom was part of Elon University student Lucy Garcia's ('23) Honors thesis, which aimed to look into the urban planning history of Burlington specifically related to the displacement of Black Bottom. The thesis will be added here once published.

Further Study

If you would like to learn more or conduct additional research:

African American Cultural Arts and History Center

In Collaboration with Elon University's Department of History and Geography